20 things I love about the UK and British people

I had a conversation with some British friends the other day.

They wanted to know why I chose to live in the UK (and not somewhere warmer for example)?


I had never given it much thought before to be honest...

So here they are, the 20 reasons why I love the UK so much:

1- This is where I met my husband and where my kids were born
Definitely the #1 on my list.

2- Cupcake-obsessed nation
I know this is not exclusively British but the UK is where I discovered these lovely little treats. I must say I am addicted too.


2- The countryside
Particularly Scotland, Ireland, the Lake District and Kent. I know this would not be most people's favourite holiday destinations but they are for me. Best memories ever!

Loch Ness and Travel Teddy

3- Victorian/Georgian houses
Although cold and damp (I know for having rented a few), these character houses are absolutely gorgeous.

4- Galaxy Smooth Milk Chocolate
It is so creamy and yummy. Love it! Definitely my favourite chocolate.

5-  People are comfortable with themselves
When I first arrived in the UK, I was amazed at how comfortable people were in their own skin. They did not seem to care about what other people thought of them. I personally loved it. French people tend to a bit more judgemental and I have always been very self-conscious there. I feel more comfortable in myself here.

6- Baileys Irish Cream
One of my friends converted me to Baileys recently. She put some in my latte. I loved it so much that it is now part of my shopping list (just to re-assure you, I don't think I am an alcoholic).


7- Afternoon Tea/Cream Tea/High Tea
OK! This has to be high on my list of favourite things too. I like how it is presented. I am not keen on the cucumber sandwich, but I love scones with clotted cream and jam and all the other sweet treats (if you haven't guessed yet, I have a sweet tooth).


8- 24-hour supermarkets
That's simply brilliant. I like going grocery shopping late in the evening after the kids are in bed. There is no queue, the staff is more relaxed, the pace is slower. Grocery shopping actually is more enjoyable at night :).

9- PG Tips Tea
Nothing special about PG Tips. I just got used to the taste and when I feel for a cup of tea and the taste is not what I expect, I don't enjoy it as much. I also always make sure that I pack some PG Tips teabags in my suitcase when I go abroad.


10- School Uniforms
I love school uniforms. They look great and tidy. You don't have to worry about what your kids are going to wear everyday. It makes life easy.

11- Sunday Shopping
I love that shops are open on Sundays. Saturday is usually my day to catch up with housework. This leaves me Sundays to unwind and enjoy a bit of retail therapy (if I ever get a chance to do it though, with 2 1/2 kids at home (the 1/2 child being my husband). Only kidding!

12- Tea to cheer people up
How many times have I been offered a warm beverage when upset? I didn't get it at first but when someone is upset, it is the first thing I offer now (after a hug and a chair to sit).


13- Sunday roast dinner
Beef, roast vegetables and yorkshire pudding is my favourite. Shame that I don't eat one often enough.

14- Queuing-obsessed nation
I never used to understand this obsession about queuing (in an orderly manner). Being French, I used to get told off a lot for cutting the lines. Now I am very disciplined and wait patiently in the queue. Actually I like it better that way.

15- Weather-obsessed nation
As for the small talk about the weather, they used to irritate me. It just seemed pointless to me. But again, I have learned and now I often surprise myself talking about the weather! It is a great ice-breaker.

16- DIY on bank holidays
I love that British people take so much pride in their homes and gardens and decide to do DIY on bank holidays. Although it may have something to do with the fact that most garden centres and DIY stores always run promotions on bank holiday weekends.

17- The Royal Family
I have a lot of respect for them. I find them fascinating. I just wonder if they are always as perfect in their personal life as they are in their public life.

18- Henry the Hoover
It is just a strange vacuum. Why would someone decide to draw a face on a vacuum? It is weird but I love it. My parents loved it too and even asked me to buy one for them. They are so proud to show it to their friends. Nutters :)!


19- Mr Bean
Everyone knows Mr Bean. If you ask a non-British person what comes to mind when they think about "England", they will say #1 the Queen/the Royal Family and #2 Mr Bean.


20- Everything else that I may have forgotten (and I know for a fact that I have).

I was born in France but Great Britain has become my adoptive country. It has been my home for 11 years and I love it here.

Only now I realise how attached I am to this country and how British I am becoming :).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby shower gift for the dad-to-be

Choosing an au pair: Definitely not an easy task

The Easiest Birthday Cake You Will Ever Make!