Why not create your child's very own picture book?

When he was small, Dylan (who is now 6) enjoyed looking at his picture books. His favourite one was a "Noddy" bilingual picture book. 



He would point at the images, wait for me to pronounce the words and then try to repeat the words himself. 

The problem with his picture book (actually with most picture books) is that the images are often drawings (rather than photos) and I am not convinced that the little ones always know what they represent (does the mouse on the picture below look like a real mouse? Not really...)



Also I find that picture books often cover too many topics (or random topics), instead of focusing on the essential ones (not sure if musical instruments are useful to a toddler who is only starting to talk).



This is how the idea came to me to create a picture book for Ryan, my youngest one (who is going to be two next month).

It took me about 10-12 hours to put the photo book together (take photos, upload the photos online, organise the photos by theme, design the book, etc...)

I made sure that Ryan's picture book only covered topics that we are using (or likely to use) with him: vehicles, animals, bedtime and bathtime essentials, clothes, food, toys, etc...



It also includes photos of objects/places and people that Ryan has seen himself so he can relate to the images (e.g. picture of his own teddy, his own toothbrush, his own bedroom, his own wellies, etc...). 



I tried to include pictures that I took myself as often as I could (and for the rest I used royalty-free pictures).

The original idea was to create a French-English bilingual book (e.g. have a picture with the word it corresponds to in French and in English underneath it) but it meant altering all the templates available in the photo book designer app (add, resize or reposition text boxes) and I simply did not have the time or the patience to do it.

I really wanted to create something special for Ryan, almost like a keepsake book. That is why I also included pictures of our family members, our house, and his favourite foods.



An A4 photobook with personalised cover costs around £30 (excluding postage).
It is worth paying extra to upgrade to 210gsm paper (to make sure that the pages don't get torn when handled by your little one).

I used Photobox to design Ryan's photo book (https://www.photobox.co.uk/shop/photo-books). 

The great thing about Photobox is that you never pay what is advertised on the website. You pay less!

All you have to do is create your book and wait for the offers to come to you. Soon after starting your book, you will start receiving offers via e-mail to encourage you to finish your creation and go to checkout. The more you wait, the better the offer :).

It is a lot of effort and money (it is definitely not cheap) but so worth it. 

My little one loves it! Why don't you try it too?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby shower gift for the dad-to-be

Days 3&4 with our au pair: Much better indeed!

Choosing an au pair: Definitely not an easy task