Day 1 with our au pair: Overwhelming day to say the least

Yesterday was our first day with our au pair Anna.

We went to France to visit family and also to pick her up this weekend. She happens to live in the same town as my mum's family (it is not a coincidence though, she was introduced to me by a relative).

I mentioned it in a previous post. Here is the link if you wish to catch up: https://theblogofafulltimeworkingmum.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/choosing-au-pair-definitely-not-easy.html?m=1

The trip home lasted about 6 hours, which was quite challenging. Not because she is a difficult person (on the contrary she is really lovely). It is just that I cannot really do small talks and find it hard to converse with new people (particularly when it is at length). But I think we did well :).

Once at home, I showed her around the house.

I also showed her where the useful things were (cockery, cutlery, coffee/tea, toilet paper, etc...) and gave her the rest of the day to settle down and unpack.

One thing I made sure of (as soon as she arrived) was to tell the kids about boundaries.
I explained them that they were not allowed to enter Anna's room unless authorised (and to knock first!).
I also explained them that they had to listen to Anna and show her respect (the same way they would to mum and dad).

It was quite an overwhelming day overall. A lot of adjustments for Anna and for ourselves.

We had to cover topics that I had not actually thought of; things like:
- Do we do our laundry together or separate (some people are particular about underwear)?
- Do we set rules about energy consumption (is it OK for her to leave the lights on when she leaves a room or to have 2 lengthy showers a day)?
- Is it OK for her to sit with us in the lounge every night (no more privacy with the other half)?

I realise now that there will be a lot of topics to cover over the coming days and I feel really stressed right now. I want her to feel at home and be happy but I also would like certain rules to be established so I can be happy too and for this to be successful.

I have taken a week off to spend it with her. I am sure that everything will be sorted by the end of it and that I will go back to work serene. Until then there is plenty of work to do...

I will keep you updated.

Wish me luck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby shower gift for the dad-to-be

Choosing an au pair: Definitely not an easy task