Why does mum work?

Last night I had a very interesting conversation with Dylan at bedtime. It went like that:

Me: Time for bed Dylan!
Dylan: Do I have to go to bed?
Me: Yes it is late now.
Dylan: Can you read me a book?
Me: No it is bedtime.
Dylan: But I haven't spent much time with you tonight (sad face).
Me: We will spend more time together over the weekend.
Dylan: That is not fair, you always work!

(Between you and I, I know what game he is playing at ;) but I know he means it too, for having this conversation with him before).

Me: Do you know why mummy works?
Dylan: No.
Me: To earn money so we can buy food and have a house or have the car fixed when it breaks down.
Dylan: And to buy petrol for the car?
Me: Yes we need money to do all sorts of fun things like going on holiday, or going to the zoo or the beach.
Dylan: And to buy my school uniform? (Dylan is starting a new school in September so we talked about getting him a new uniform)
Me: Everything costs money. If I did not go to work, how would I pay for all this? With sweets maybe (smiling at Dylan)?
Dylan: That would be funny (smiling back at me).
Me: Yes it would. Let's play a game, OK? If everything could be purchased with sweets what would you pay milk with?
Dylan: Jelly Beans?
Me (feeling amused): OK and a car?
Dylan: Easter eggs?
Me: Nice one! And a house?
Dylan: A giant Haribo!

Now both exploding with laughter thinking of how we would transport the big giant Haribo gummy bear :).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby shower gift for the dad-to-be

Day 1 with our au pair: Overwhelming day to say the least

Choosing an au pair: Definitely not an easy task